Staffing, Management & Finance Committee
A list of the governor committees and their terms of reference are set out below.
All committees have responsibility:
- To act strategically,
- To provide regular written minutes of meetings to the full governing body, identifying decisions taken or action required, and to keep a signed copy of all minutes at the school, available for inspection on request.
- To establish a list of policies coming within the area of responsibility of the committee and monitor, evaluate and review them regularly
- To review the effectiveness of the committee and recommend variations to the terms of reference.
STAFFING MANAGEMENT & FINANCE COMMITTEE TERMS OF REFERENCE
To be accountable to all stakeholders and external agencies. To act strategically in relation to the following:
|School Improvement Plan (common to all committees)||Work with the school in drafting the vision and setting strategic priorities for the School Improvement Plan. Review and approve School Improvement Plan targets and performance indicators. Monitor and evaluate progress in meeting these priorities.|
|Policies & Statutory Information||To monitor, evaluate and review the Staffing, Management and Finance Committee Policies listed below.|
|Budget||Review and approve the budget, ensuring it supports the School Improvement Plan’s priorities/targets. Present to the Governors for approval. Monitor the budget and ensure expenditure stays within agreed limits, reporting significant potential variances to the Governors.|
|Recommend Headteacher Spending Delegations||Recommend whether to pass the Governors’ responsibility to spend the budget (and any grants) to the Headteacher, and if so, to decide on any spending delegations as listed below.|
|Audit||To appoint auditors and to appoint an Audit Committee to monitor compliance with approved financial procedure and consider action required as a result of internal/external audit report.|
|Staffing Structure and School Pay Structure||Review and approve the staffing structure of the school, in line with the School Improvement Plan. Review the school pay structure annually in light of changes to nationally recommended pay rates and report to the Governing Body as appropriate. Review the school staffing structure in respect of pay relativities of posts. Maintain an up to date staffing structure as an appendix to the Pay Policy.|
|Compliance||Observe all statutory and contractual obligations|
|Equality||Monitor and review relevant aspects of the School Equality Plan including the objectives and the annual Statement for Publication.|
|Ensure Fair and Safe recruitment||Ensure that all recruitment will be undertaken in accordance with safer recruitment practices, SHHS Policies, and where appropriate with advice from the local authority.|
|Job Descriptions and Person Specifications||
Ensure that every member of staff has a job description which is kept under regular periodic review and a contract. Use the Responsible Officer to monitor this. Ensure appropriate person specifications are used in recruitment.
|Disciplinary & Grievance Procedures||Undertake any procedure that comes under the remit of the Governors in relation to staff grievance, discipline or dismissal, in accordance with the policies adopted by the Governors.|
|Continuing Professional Development||Oversee and advise on the continuing professional development of the school management and staff, in line with the educational priorities of the school and the recommendations made by the performance reviewers.|
|Teaching School||Monitor and review Teaching School activities|
|Staff Welfare||Take primary responsibility for matters concerning staff welfare.|
|Risk Register||To regularly review the risk register; to act carefully to mitigate risks; and to propose changes where appropriate to the full governors meeting|
|Governor Visits||In the summer term, make a plan for required governor visits for the following academic year to ensure appropriate oversight.|
|Training||Review training requirements of committee members and liaise with the Training Governor to secure this.|
|Review effectiveness||To review the effectiveness of the committee and recommend variations to the terms of reference as appropriate|
Staffing, Management & Finance Committee Policies
Final approval of these particular policies rests with the full governing body:
• Data Protection Policy, Statutory
• Pay Policy, Non Statutory
• Whistleblowing Policy
• Performance Management Policy, Non-statutory
• Equality Objectives and Statement for Publication, Statutory
• Freedom of Information Publication Scheme for Academies, Statutory
• Financial Regulations
• Investment Policy, mandatory for academies
• Tendering Policy, mandatory for academies
The full governing body has delegated approval of the following policies to the Staffing, Management & Finance Committee
• Charging and Remissions, Statutory and monitor implementation
• Complaints Procedure, Statutory
• Safer Recruitment
• School Information to be published on school website, Statutory
• Staff Disciplinary Policy & Procedures (with Template Letters), Statutory
• Staff Grievance Resolution Policy & Procedures (with Template Letters), Statutory
• Staff Capability Policy & Procedures, Statutory
• Sickness Absence Policy & Procedures, Statutory
• CPD Policy, Non-statutory
• Hospitality and Gift Policy, Non-statutory
Performance Management & Pay (Confidential) as the salaries Sub-Committee
The Committee will be made up of to three to five members from the Staffing, Management and Finance Committee, each of whom can retain confidentiality, make objective and informed decisions and give time both to the implementation and review of the pay policy. It will not include any member of staff employed at the school.
The head must withdraw from that part of the meeting where the subject of consideration is his or her own pay. A relevant person must withdraw where there is a conflict of interest or any doubt about his/her ability to act impartially.
The quorum for this committee will be two governors.
On behalf of the Governors, the Salaries Committee will:
- Review the school pay structure annually in light of changes to nationally recommended pay rates and report to the Governing Body as appropriate.
- In accordance with the Pay Policy, determine appropriate pay ranges for all staff, including allowances and recruitment and retention payments where appropriate.
- Ensure that pay decisions are fair and equitable, link with the school Performance Management policy, are based on verifiable evidence and take account of the recommendations of the head teacher and, where appropriate, other members of the Senior Team.
- Review the school staffing structure in respect of pay relativities of posts.
- Maintain an up to date staffing structure as an appendix to the Pay Policy.
- Ensure that external advice is sought where appropriate, particularly in respect of salary matters relating to the head teacher.
- Ensure accurate and up to date person specifications and job descriptions are maintained in school to inform pay decisions where necessary
- Ensure annual pay statements are issued to all staff in accordance with the school pay policy
- Provide reports to the Governing Body summarizing any issues arising from pay.
- Observe all statutory and contractual obligations
- Monitor and review relevant aspects of the School Equality Plan