Modern Foreign Languages have many important, unique as well as cross curricular roles within the curriculum. At its heart is the development of getting to know the culture as well as the language. Over time, students will deepen their grammatical knowledge and significantly extend their active vocabulary to explore issues touching on the position of the young person in society.
Modern Foreign Languages develop:
- Communication, expression, debate, discussion and argument.
- Appreciation of language, literature and inner life.
- Cultural capital and aesthetic appreciation of the rich heritage of French and Spanish (Literacy at word, sentence and text level).
- Speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
- Independence, confidence and self-awareness and self-expression.
- Because learning a new language requires learning about different cultures, students become more open-minded.
- Students make more rapid progress in learning a new language if they are risk-takers, resilient, perseverant and self-regulated.
- Meeting difficult challenges and learning essential employment skills.
Key Stage 3
|In KS3, Students practise all four skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing in an active classroom environment. Students are taught a number of grammatical features including different tenses. To read more about our Key Stage 3 curricula, please see Key Stage 3 French Curriculum and Key Stage 3 Spanish Curriculum|
Key Stage 4 (GCSE)
At KS4, Students will be tested in the 4 skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing, either at Foundation level or Higher level. All four skills will be assessed at the end of year 11.
The aims of the course are to encourage students to:
- Develop their understanding of the spoken and written forms of French/Spanish in a range of contexts
- Develop their ability to communicate effectively in French/Spanish through speaking and writing using a range of vocabulary and grammatical structures
- Develop their knowledge of France and Spain and French and Spanish-speaking countries.
Key Stage 5 (A-Level French & A-Level Spanish)
Our A-Level course include trips abroad. You can read more about our modern languages A-Levels on our Sixth Form pages: here